I was interviewed by Gerald Tostowaryk for “The Real World of Real Estate” podcast alongside Sidney Waskiewich, Vice President National Leasing for Qualico Commercial. You can listen to the podcast on your platform of choice here.
The conversation centered on how COVID-19 was impacting commercial real estate leasing and development in the retail, office, and industrial categories across the major markets in Western Canada.
- How new leasing activity varies between BC, Alberta, and Manitoba since COVID
- Revival of the suburbs across residential, retail, and office categories
- Parsing the impact on Alberta’s real estate market from COVID vs. Energy Sector decline
- The categories of retail being hardest hit; the categories of retail that are thriving
- Why you will see more dramatic headlines of retail bankruptcies, but it isn’t reason to fear
- Why shopping centre development will be curtailed in 2021
- “Pandemic-Proof” shopping centre design changes
- Predictions for cap rates & construction pricing
- Sidney & Gerald’s impressive NHL trivia knowledge
This conversation was recorded on November 4th, 2020, as new lockdowns were about to be introduced. 95% of the content will be relevant through 2021.